View Single Post
Old 03-28-2006, 06:54 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by F15AvionicsTech
Hey guys -

First off, let me say that this forum has been paramount for me in the past few months as to deciding where I want my life to go. The patients that all the users here show when it comes to answering the same questions over-and-over again with real relevant answers is amazing.

Anyways...here's my quick question. I'm about 10hrs into my PVT and I'm debating whether to continue into my ratings this summer, or start work on my degree. I dug myself into a hole in terms of GPA at the school I attended, so I'm looking at about 5 years to graduate from where I am. Should I use the summer (While I still have a decent paying full-time ANG technician job) to get some more work on Ins/Comm ratings and start school in the fall - or just get my PVT and start working on my degree.

Obviously, the degree is going to be non-aviation (Computer Science).

Thanks again for all the wonderful help and information found on this board.
Depends on finances and workload I guess. If you could get at least a CFI knocked out early on, you could make some cash and build time while in college. In a perfect world, you might be at 1000/100 when you graduate and start applying to regionals immediately.

I'm a huge proponent of getting that college degree, but if you're going to have to bus tables during school anyway, you might as well be flight instructing instead.

If you finish your private before summer, You should be able to get IR/COM done during the summer. You would need to ensure that your school/club will have aircraft & instructors available, but you yourself shouldn't have any problem getting it done in 2-3 months. Try to get your ME done too, that way you will be ready to take advantage of ANY opportunities to build vital ME time.

Then get your CFI, CFII, MEI the following summer, that gives you three school years to work as a CFI.

Perfect world plan, adjust to suit your circumstances.