View Single Post
Old 12-04-2017, 06:12 PM
Shangri La
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2017
Position: Professional Button Pusher
Default RJ to U/LCC with no TPIC Theory

So I have a theory; As a young airline pilot at 24, and about to be upgrading at my current shop in a couple of months. Traditional thought would be to stay. Upgrade. Get 1,000 TPIC. Save kittens from trees on your days off. Wait. And leave for one of the BIG 4. My theory; is why not if offered a job at an U/LCC such as F9 or NK prior to upgrading taking it, and escaping regional purgatory? If hiring at the legacies picks up as its foretasted to, everyone's saying TPIC wont matter anyway, and if the economy tanks (already been 8 years since the last one) You're at a place that would be fine to hang the hat for awhile. Worst case with 40+ years left in this industry one would assume they could make it to a legacy at some point from F9 or NK if they wanted to anyway. I guess it boils down to, you never know when that legacy is going to call, there's still plenty of much more qualified pilots than someone like me in line for the Big 4. So why not make a move to the majors while the gettings good? Not saying I'm going down this path, but I'm looking for a little food for thought, as I'm sure I'm not the only one that has thought about this?