View Single Post
Old 12-11-2017, 07:26 AM
GeeWizDriver
Speed, Power, Accuracy

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: PIC

Tell your young padawan to go into the basement and invent something or bury himself in a computer and create the next big thing in software. Then he can fly himself around for fun....

Originally Posted by crewdawg View Post
Yo Gents, mentoring the son of a family friend, and was wondering if I could get some insight into the operation at NetJets. When I was in college, I was dead set on never going to the airlines and NetJets was my goal (after a few years as a starchecker)...well neither happened as I went off the military and now I'm an airline guy. Figures...

Anyway, I understand the basics of the fractional business but some info on the pilot life would be greatly appreciated. I want to pass some good gouge and not just how awesome the airlines are (right now...).

Bases...I see the list of bases. Are certain jets paired by bases or are the bases just locations they'll allow you to start/end trips? I assume mostly air lining to wherever the jet is located?

(You live in whatever city on the list of 100-ish crew bases floats your boat. You airline to and from the jet.)

Bidding...is it based on everyone in your seat/aircraft in the company or just your base?

(Aircraft assignment bidding and upgrade bidding is company wide. Vacation and schedule bidding are fleet specific.)

Pay...I seem to remember that guys say you can expect to make ~10% over the published rates, does that still hold true?

(Depends on fleet and schedule. I've never done better than 6% over gross until this year. Looks like about 12% just because I worked a lot of holidays.)

Schedules...I get the 7/7 but what are the other schedules? Can anyone get them or are they limited/have to bid for them? Are they more like an airline schedule where you bid for particular days off, over the 4 month period?

(Schedule bidding beyond the 7/7 is a dark art to me...)

Any other insight into the operation you think would be pertinent would be appreciated.

(Run, don't walk, to the regionals and then the majors.)

Thanks guys!