View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 06:23 PM
SEPfield
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2016

Originally Posted by Sliceback View Post
It's all assigned duty. Including DHD, etc. Long haul is almost 100% flying and DHD is a very small amount of the monthly flying.
The limit is typically 92-100+. Schedules avg 82 hrs year round.

Minimum days off isn't a factor. 100 hr month had 9 days off. Pickup was voluntary. 85 hrs would have been at least 12 days off.

Vacation gets credited at 3:40 per day. So a week's vacation would pay 25:40 and you'd be limited to flying 64 hrs(+/-) and system wide the average would be 57 hrs or less. Two weeks pays 51:20 and you'd fly 32-39 hrs. You can also extend your vacation, unpaid for four additional days. So each stand alone week of vacation can actually be 11 days. If you bid vacations at the end, or beginning, of a month you can get another 3-8 days in the adjacent month. So 2 to 2.5 weeks can be the expected break with careful placement of single week vacations.

Training is 4:00. Credit of 2:45. So five days of training is worth 20 hrs of pay but only 13:45 applies to the monthly limit if you want to pick up more.(I hope I didn't screw that explanation up)

Mandatory sleep study? Not that I know of.

Not sure what 'alcohol cdt training' is.
The point I am trying to make is that working for Emirates is nothing like flying long haul for a US based union carrier.

The average schedule Block at EK is 95hrs. That’s not picking up trips. That is your awarded schedule, It is not optional. That is the schedule you are given.
It is a mix of 1-5hr turnaround flights (yes 5 out and 5 back) 6-9hr long hauls, and 11-17hr ultra long hauls. Yes you can and many have beeen scheduled for all 3 in a single month.

There is no minimum days off at EK. They give you only the minimum days off required by the GCAA. 1 every 7, 2 off every 14.

There is no such thing as vacation credit at EK. You could take 7 days of vacation and still have a 90hr Block line. You don’t get days off in addition to vacation. 7 days of vacation will probably get you 12 total days off for the month.

There is no credit for any training event.

Also Augment time does not count toward your annual limits. The 1000hrs in 365 days. In the GCAA it is 900 in 365. Several pilots at EK have exceeded that limit because Emirates manuals say Augment time doesn’t count.

Several Emirates pilots were forced to take sleep studies and subsequently carry C-pap machines following fatigue reports.

Alcohol CDT test are used to determine how much you drink. It does not take much to elevate the levels. CDT testing is another intimidation technique EK uses. If Emirates doesn’t like your fatigue report, you can be forced to take a alcohol CDT test. Which can then be used to suspend your medical and enter you in to a treatment program.

Remember it’s not the terrible schedules, circadian swaps, and jet lag that are causing your fatigue. You obviously are an alcoholic with sleep apnea.