View Single Post
Old 01-18-2018, 05:58 PM
JSDL
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: Round Two

Originally Posted by Rooster435 View Post
I’m here in Thailand right now. We did the Spirit pass to ICN then ZED to Bangkok. Korean, Thai and Asiana all fly direct from ICN and have ZED agreements. There are several low cost carriers that do it as well if you are looking to buy a ticket. You can also go thru Narita with lots of connecting options. It’s technically possible to go thru China as well but we chose to avoid that route due to uncertainties about visa requirements for transiting (especially when doing ZED).

Once in Thailand I would recommend just buying inter country tickets. They are generally 150 ish dollars RT anywhere in Thailand. ZED is doable as well and there are lots of flight options on Thai and Bangkok Airways.

It’s a seriously miserable trip. The flight to Korea is ok but the sit in Incheon and 6 hour flight to Thailand will test your will to live. Plan on 24-30 hours enroute.

It’s a long way to come for just a beach vacation. I would highly recommend Chiang Mai for 3-4 days. It’s up north in the “mountains” with cooler weather. Great cafe culture, lots of activities (tiger Kingdom, elephant camps, zip lining, biking, hiking, rafting, etc). We stayed at the Le Meridian there which is western 5 star hotel but there are thousands of nice boutique hotels if that’s your thing as well. Another option is to head over to Siem Reap Cambodia for a couple of days and visit the ancient city of Angor Wat. There is van service from Bangkok which takes about 4 hours I believe.

Used Booking.com for all our reservation (Bangkok, Hua Hin, Chiang Mai). Really easy to use and seemed to have the best prices. I’ve used ID90 website in the past but I found it not as easy to use and prices seemed no better.

Good luck and have fun!
Thanks for the great info.
I was looking at possibly going through CDG...flights look good from MSP and then Zed on Air France. Still checking it all out.

I'm sure we won't spend the whole time at the beach.