View Single Post
Old 01-20-2018, 07:06 PM
Typhoonpilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2005
Position: tri current

Originally Posted by JSDL View Post
For those who have already been, what's the best way to get there? I'm looking to go as far as I can on Delta metal and then Zed to Bangkok.
Any deals for airline employees once in country?

Thanks

BTW, planning on a beach vacation so I probably won't spend a lot of time in Bangkok.

If only Delta did not stop service to a major tourist destination and country with over 70 million people

I would go Delta to Hong Kong then you could ZED on CX, TG, or even EK to BKK. That or just buy a ticket on Air Asia to Chiang Mai or ZED on Cathay Dragon.

I have a home in Chiang Mai so I am somewhat biased, but I will agree to the advice above about Chiang Mai. It's a great place to spend a few days before going to the beaches in the south. Although the hot season of March, April, May is rapidly approaching and it gets very hazy. Not a nice time of year to be there. When the "rain season" starts in June it is actually much more pleasant. Some good white water rafting on the rivers outside of Chiang Mai during the rainy season.

For beaches, or a beach vacation, it depends a little on what you are after. There are numerous nice resorts along the mainland sides of the Gulf of Thailand but the beaches themselves leave a little to be desired. I just spent three days at the Marriott resort Hua Hin. Great pools and a reasonable beach for that side of the coast. Along the other side is the Marriott Resort Rayong. It's far enough south to be away from the mayhem of Pattaya. Again, great pools and a reasonable beach.

The better beaches are further south in/near Phuket and Krabi as well as the islands in the Gulf of Thailand like Ko Samui and Ko Pha Ngan.

When in Bangkok I always recommend chartering a longtail boat for an hour cruise on the Chao Phraya and especially the canals that connect to it.