View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 10:42 AM
boxhauler
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: MD-11 Captain

Originally Posted by BigWatchPilot View Post
FedEx just stopped and gave me my Safe Skies for Fall 2007. Page 2 starts a big explanation on 8 in 24 "from the Flight Duty Officers" interpretation of FAR 121.505.

If you have an "Air Turn Back" or a (non-cargo) diversion to another airport. Crew scheduling can revise your trip add another flight segment and you can knowingly takeoff and fly over 8 hr in 24.

While the article does mention safety...the last sentence is, "This is intended to help you understand the legal issues in flight and duty times which, in turn, contribute to a more reliable operation for our customers."

In the last 15 years I have never heard of such interpretation...I hope the Union Leadership steps forward again...and gives us their interpretation.

BWP
I just had that scenario happen last month. We diverted on the outbound leg of a hub turn for wx. The captain would have exceed 8 block hours if we turned again and went to the orignial destination as GOC and the duty officer wanted us to do. The captain finally said he was just too tired (fatigued) and that ended that. Neither he or the two captain jumpseaters thought it was legal to fly the leg and knowingly exceed 8-24, so the safe skies article certainly explains the company's stance on the issue.