View Single Post
Old 01-29-2018, 04:53 PM
FlyGuy2002
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2015

Originally Posted by I like BIG Bus View Post
Income vs profit hmmm... not really the same thing. And I don't think they made 1.7 billion in a quarter. I'm just doing this quick and I found a couple figures but let's say they profited 550mil that's roughly 38,000 per pilot. So, you were saying?
Delta had a quarterly profit ending 9/30/2017 of 1.17 billion. they end 2016 with a net income (profit) of 4.3 billion. These are straight off the delta income statement. easy public info to find. And having big margins is a good thing and sign of a healthy company.. But margins are NOT what pays the bills. Money pays the bills. And a company with more can afford more of everything. Higher wages, higher bills, higher expenses and absorb more in the way of Losses than a company with LESS money. Would you rather have 20% margin of a 5 billion dollar company or 10% margin of a 30 billion dollar company?? Margins are only one small metric. The smaller margin in the example above is in fact a crap load more money. 2 Billion MORE to be exact. A small sandwich chain could have demonstrably higher margins than subway.. but subway has 20,000 plus locations, therefore having an a** load more money.... although they both do the "same job" .. its all about scalability