Old 02-10-2018, 08:07 AM
Tannhauser621
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by mistaplane View Post
Hi all,

Newb poster here, long time lurker. Just wanted to get your guys' opinions on my options and chances for flying for a military branch like the USAF Reserves or ANG, which would be an honor and would also help me achieve some of my flying goals since it's so expensive to do on your own dime. My flights goals are to pilot C-130s or other transports and then eventually transition to corporate flying.

Currently, I'm a 30 year old working professional with a BS degree in mech engineering and with a freshly minted PPL (super low time ~100hrs). My biggest setback though, aside from my age and low time, is that my vision is crap without my contacts! I've talked to a few recruiters so far and they've said that I could get waivers for both age and Lasik or PRK, as long as a unit is willing to sponsor me.

I plan on taking the AFOQT / ASVAB / TBAS soon to get those out of the way, however, I don't know if I should jump on the eye surgery right away. I've been told I will need to wait one year after the surgery to be considered for a pilot slot when it's time to do the physical test, also putting me at 31 years of age.

So what do you guys think? Which branch would I have a better shot a flying with? Is there still a good chance that I get to fly assuming I meet all the other prereq's in a year or so or kiss these military flying dreams goodbye?

Also, should I consider PRK or Lasik, and now or later? I've been told either is okay per military standards and I don't mind doing it sooner than later to keep me competitive. The worst I see happening is I don't get a pilot slot for whatever reason down the road, but come out w/ good vision (assuming no surgery complications!)

I know I should have been working on this years ago to give me better chances but life and flying expenses go by quick!

Anyway, love to get your feedback. Thanks.
Dude, look at the Coast Guard. They take people over 30 and flying fixed wing is not too difficult to swing. A lot dudes joined for the SAR mission. Know a girl personally who was an engineer, 31, and is on her way to Corpus for multi engine advanced.