Old 02-11-2018, 02:13 PM
mistaplane
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2018

Originally Posted by PRS Guitars View Post
You don’t have to be 20/20 without glasses, just correctable to that with some other top number (maybe 20/200, just a guess), so you likely don’t need surgery.

The real problem is you need an age waiver, because you are too old now for UPT. It’s possible to get one but not probable. They have plenty of applicants who don’t need one. I’d say your best bet is finding a unit that flies undesirable aircraft and is in an undesirable location. There will be less competition there. Not saying give up entirely on other units, but trying to give you a realistic outlook.
I'm getting mixed info about this currently. The way I understand it is you can have vision no worse than 20/70 (mine is about 20/300), correctable to 20/20 if you're just joining but if you are aiming for a pilot slot, you need near perfect vision or have surgery done.

Originally Posted by BeatNavy View Post
One reserve fighter squadron has 3 guys with age waivers in the pipeline or waiting to get in the pipeline who are all older than you. One of the 3 is not prior service. Not saying getting a waiver is easy, as units don’t like to do it, but NGB/AFRC are approving them pretty easily right now. Unit levels vary but most don’t do it often, and usually they go to dudes who are enlisted in the unit. Check bogidope.com, baseops.net, and the pilot network on FB for upcoming board info. Reach out to units. Go visit. Maybe apply to the AFRC unsponsored board...that way you’re at least able to get thru MEPS/FC1 and can potentially secure a UPT slot without a specific unit hiring you. Good luck.
Haven't been on those sites yet. Will do right away! and good tips to visit units. After reading some other threads, I think reaching out to units is crucial now instead of dealing w/ these recruiters. Thanks you for the insight.

Originally Posted by kbay hombre View Post
Mistaplane, have you considered the Army/National Guard? I know you mention the Air Force but you also mention just flying in the military and Army aviation counts as the latter. FYI, the Army NG has aviation units in quite a few states so your chances of staying local are even better if you aren't near a major air guard base, and the Army has had a higher max age limit for flight school than the other services for a while now. I think it used to be 34-35 and right now it's 33 before you need an age waiver, so at your current age, you wouldn't need an age waiver with the Army. Also, if you go the warrant officer pilot route, you'll fly a lot more than as a commissioned officer and not have to deal with as much of the officer politics BS. If you only want to go fixed wing then go Air Force and try to get an age waiver but if it doesn't matter to you then go Army NG right now while you still can without a waiver and be a warrant officer.
Yes I am definitely open to joining other branches if my chances of flying are better elsewhere. I didn't know about the warrant officer route and that the ANG age limit is higher than other services right now which is good news. Currently still researching all the options and pulling info from a ton of sources so this great. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Tannhauser621 View Post
Dude, look at the Coast Guard. They take people over 30 and flying fixed wing is not too difficult to swing. A lot dudes joined for the SAR mission. Know a girl personally who was an engineer, 31, and is on her way to Corpus for multi engine advanced.
Hadn't looked into the Coast Guard at all. Very good tip. Gonna look into this.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by mistaplane; 02-11-2018 at 02:41 PM.