Old 02-13-2018, 09:07 PM
kbay hombre
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2017
Position: A shack in Kailua

Originally Posted by Tannhauser621 View Post
Dude, look at the Coast Guard. They take people over 30 and flying fixed wing is not too difficult to swing. A lot dudes joined for the SAR mission. Know a girl personally who was an engineer, 31, and is on her way to Corpus for multi engine advanced.
The Coast Guard is great, and I say that having worked with them numerous times over my career. With that said, they do NOT have reserve aviators; they are the only branch of the military that only has active duty pilots and no reservists. So, mistaplane, keep this in mind. You sound like you might want to either go straight into the reserves or go reserves eventually. Every other branch has part time (reserves/national guard) flying available, but this is not an option in the USCG. And I don't say this to belittle or demean the Coasties; they are some of the best pilots out there, and get a lot more IMC than helo pilots in any other branch, but if you go CG you will be required to fly on active duty for 6-8 years after you finish flight school.