View Single Post
Old 02-15-2018, 08:59 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Paladin145 View Post
As a new jet pilot, I am just starting to scratch the surface on this topic.
I would love to hear from some experienced Jet pilots on how to consistently make crosswind landings, with minimal risk of a wing tip strike ( specifcially the CRJ-200.)

I've found some great articles that talk about techniques for various aircraft. On the CRJ-200, There seems to be debate about:

- what RA height to "kick out the rudder".
- how much wing low to use?
- how close to the runway to use wing low.
- how far off the center line the nose can be, if any. ( if you have it perfectly straight, that involves more wing down. At > 15 kts crosswind, these seems to be getting close to the 5 ' AOB limit. )

Crosswind Landings
For the CRJ200..

- what RA height to "kick out the rudder".

I would do it really close, like "10". That would prevent side drift. If you're new to the plane, might do it a little higher until you get a feel. With practice on a 200, you can kick it out right into a LDG.

- how much wing low to use?

As much as needed, respecting max demonstrated XW. If I needed a relatively high bank angle for a gust I would take some of that out at the last moment just to be safe... a little drift is better than too much bank, they replace the tires regularly anyway. The CRJ700 is prone to hitting wingtips, I don't recall that being much of an issue on the 200.

- how close to the runway to use wing low.

Somewhere between "20" and touchdown. You can use it a little all the way to touchdown, but go easy when you're new.

- how far off the center line the nose can be, if any. ( if you have it perfectly straight, that involves more wing down. At > 15 kts crosswind, these seems to be getting close to the 5 ' AOB limit. ).

You want to nose on the CL when you kick it out. So you have kind of eyeball that with a big crab, YOU will be noticeably off CL (upwind) when crabbing, that way the center of the plane will be on CL the whole time. When you kick it out, the plane will rotate around it's center, moving the nose (and you) onto CL. If you're a little off, no big deal, but on CL is the way Pros do it. On CL gives you margin to either side in case of asymmetric braking, reversers, wind drift, ice, etc.