View Single Post
Old 02-17-2018, 03:49 PM
Paladin145
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2016
Default You said it best.

awesome. I wish my LCA explained it that way.

Originally Posted by galaxy flyer View Post
Quick story on why “kick” is a bad word I don’t use.

Windy day going into Yakima in an empty C-5 which is a kite. 40* crosswind nearing the limits for conditions, IIRC about 28 knots of left crosswind component, 32.5* was the charted limit. Newish pilot flying, we had a discussion on crosswind techniques. He was ready and geared up. Nicely flown approach off the VOR, good weather except for winds. I’m in the right seat, watching, hands off the controls, feet resting on the pedals. He’s nicely stable and good air speed control going thru 50’, I call “20”, and my right pedal disappears under my foot. Oh boy! Nose swings thru the centerline, I grab my set of throttles and, say, “MY AIRPLANE”. As the thrust kicked in we were at the right hand edge of the runway and I remembering wondering if we’d touch. Off we went, thanks to GE and a light airplane.

Point being, just squeeze enough rudder to align the fuselage with the runway, think upwind aileron to hold the wings level, which will probably have set 2*-3* of bank into the wind. It’s poetry, not prose.

GF