View Single Post
Old 02-21-2018, 05:23 PM
Adlerdriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 767 Captain

Originally Posted by DiamondZ View Post
Look at the most recent system bid award.

The company does not want to hire an individual, have them go on MLOA for 2 years, and come back with an award to the left seat of one of their airplanes with no system experience.
I really doubt this particular concern is driving the current hiring dynamic. FedEx may have decided to turn their nose up at the part time military guys, but I seriously doubt it's because they're worried about what they might be able to hold on a system bid.

There are a variety of scenarios that would create a similar circumstance and don't involve someone out on mil leave. How about someone hired into the right seat of the 777. They may spend two years getting one landing a month if they're lucky, sitting reserve and going to the sim every 90 days or RFOing 14 hours at a pop and never spend a single moment flying domestic hub-turns. Are they going to be any more ready to jump into the left seat of a 757 than someone just getting back from mil leave? You seem to be discounting the instructors, check airmen and FAA designees. There are enough "filters" in the upgrade process to ensure the Captains release to the line are capable of doing the job.

No one wants to struggle in training and I think it's unlikely too many folks would attempt an upgrade without any practical experience. However, if someone did, I feel pretty confident the training standards would keep them out of the left seat if they weren't ready. It's not like we haven't all heard of someone who made the attempt and was unsuccessful.