View Single Post
Old 02-21-2018, 07:14 PM
Adlerdriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 767 Captain

Originally Posted by HIFLYR View Post
Many of the AOA Types have not done a winglow crosswond landing in many years. These are the types of crosswind landings we do. I did not realize the C17 does not also past a certain flap setting, untill I was working with a C17 guy on his crosswind landings.
I figured it was something like that. Ok, pardon me while a scoff a little. This "system" we all operate in now is hardly as challenging as you're making it out to be.

As far as cross-wind landings? We're talking basic flight control inputs. You really think it's valid to turn away someone with loads of experience because they lack recency in something as basic as a cross-wind landing? I seriously doubt the majority of guys coming here from whatever background are going to find a basic cross-wind landing that difficult. You want to give me an exception to the rule story about some "AOA Type" that had a tough time with cross-winds in a heavy transport category aircraft? Whatever. I'm sure we can find an RJ guy who struggled with that or something else. I know a few of the one's I've flown with recently could use some remedial radio training. But there's the 5% in every group.

Plenty of "value" in a mix of new hires from various prior walks of aviation life.