Thread: Gear Up!
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2018, 07:50 PM
OverRadar
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2018
Default Gear Up!

Hello all,

In 2009 as a CFI I almost had a gear up landing in a twin engine Piper Seminole. We never actually landed with the gear up however there was a dual prop strike as well as the "step stair" to step onto the wing being damaged/scraped. No other damage to the aircraft.

I realize that I was incredibly lucky to have walked away vs how things could have played out. Zero injuries related to the flight.

This happened at a towered airport and the FAA was notified by the airport manager which resulted 44709 ride.

I never got clarification if it was officially ruled an accident or incident. From recent reading, it doesn't fit the NTSB mold for an accident. Additional research has revealed that most gear up landings are not considered incident's (contrary to popular believe).

I'm unable to locate anything about my case in the NTSB accident database nor the FAA Accident and Incident Data System (AIDS).

I've received my full airman record from the FAA to include accident and incident history with no mention of that day. The only reminder in my airman file is a satisfactory 44709 letter from the FAA investigator.

I was under the impression that the FAA may just be reporting the past 5 years, thus nothing showing up seeing how long it's been. After contacting the FAA to request my FULL accident/incident history via the Privacy Act and Freedom of Information Act, they confirmed that their provided record is for all accidents/incidents or enforcement actions associated with my certificate. They elaborated that if there ever was anything then it must have been expunged from my record.

I'm seeking advise on how to answer the dreaded "have you ever been in an accident or incident" question on the apps. If there's no record to be found in the NTSB or FAA database combined with my scenario not technically meeting the specifics for an accident or incident, would I be correct to mark "No"

Thank you in advance for all the help on the matter