View Single Post
Old 02-22-2018, 01:25 AM
NotMrNiceGuy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2015

Originally Posted by busdriver12 View Post

So anyone have any other ideas about why FedEx appears reluctant to hire military pilots now? They used to hire mostly prior military.
I’m not sure what exactly is being argued? Is it “who” or is it “when”? I’m assuming all this discussion began the other day when the gentleman posted about FedEx was his number one airline, but Delta offered the job first. After being at Delta for about a year, he’s past V1 and not looking back. WallyF4 then posted his take on FDX hiring practices over the last 14 months.

I was hired in 2017. In my class, we had 70% with a military background. They still like Zoomies; we had four in our class. The majority were heavy guys by about a two to one heavy to fighter ratio.

These numbers are fairly typical for FDX. From what I understand, the other carriers are more of a fifty/fifty split. So I don’t really follow WF4’s intent. Is it just that those separating/retiring are not holding immediate class dates?

If that’s the case, there’s an easy explanation. It’s incredibly competitive right now. Every single legacy/major/cargo airline is hiring full throttle right now. That’s 3500 pilots just for the Big 4 in 2018. With FedEx only having five hundred and 50-70% of that being Mil, we’re talking 250 to 350 spots. Some guys just aren’t going to get in right away.

If it comes to appreciating “aviators”, I think FDX absolutely does. Now, from the way WF4 was saying it, I think he equates aviator with military. But if it also means experience, then FedEx values it more than UAL and DAL to be sure. People that get into class at those carriers don’t even qualify for a FDX interview on a regular basis. Everyone in my class had a leadership background, highly degreed, highly qualified, with incredible levels of experience. At UAL and DAL, those requisites can be replaced with a Legacy parent or volunteering at job fairs/recruiting. I was very appreciative that FDX gave a nod to experience over the old school back doors.

I hope that everyone that deserves a chance, gets a chance. But with competition at an all time high, it may take some time to get there.