Thread: Gear Up!
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2018, 06:28 AM
OverRadar
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2018

I appreciate the feedback. To add to my previous post, I don't remember anybody from the NTSB contacting me and I would think any NTSB documentation would be somewhere in my airman record. I would like think that I would remember any representative from the NTSB or their paperwork. All I remember is the FAA inspector that handled my case.

Additionally I came across the following via a Google search. There's similar articles from other aviation law websites that suggest the same....

https://pilot-protection-services.ao...or-an-incident

While common sense might suggest that a gear-up landing results in “substantial damage” to the aircraft and is a reportable accident, the definition of “substantial damage” actually excludes typical gear-up landing damage. “Substantial damage” is defined as “damage or failure which adversely affects the structural strength, performance, or flight characteristics of the aircraft, and which would normally require major repair or replacement of the affected component. Engine failure or damage limited to an engine if only one engine fails or is damaged, bent fairings or cowling, dented skin, small punctured holes in the skin or fabric, ground damage to rotor or propeller blades, and damage to landing gear, wheels, tires, flaps, engine accessories, brakes, or wingtips are not considered "substantial damage." Consequently, there is no requirement to report a gear-up landing as long as no one is injured, the damage fits within the definition, and the specific incidents within 49 CFR 830.5 did not occur.