Old 10-26-2007, 09:36 PM
dontsurf
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: A220 CA

each side does it. they're just doing their job. unfortunately, just like in political campaigns, truth stretching and outright lying is done by both sides. of course any company (especially a public company, with legal fiduciary responsibilities to the shareholders) is trying to keep costs down. having unions is always more expensive to the company. look at toyota plants in the usa compared to gm plants. i'm sure there is never a situation where a company is sitting around dying for a union to come in. they can of course do things to keep unions from coming in. there are myriad examples from the past in all unionized industries in which companies did horrible things, illegal things to keep their workforce union free.

but of course unions exist to not only serve their members but to make money, just like the companies. they have to grow just like other companies. they need new members, new industries, etc. to keep the money coming in and to do the good things they do. i've certainly flown with people who are rabidly anti-union, usually for political reasons, and they are quick to point out the bad things that unions can mean (usually in the form of money for nothing, no power, etc). but most people can agree that in a complicated industry like the airlines, and especially one that has such a history of abuse of employees, that unions are a necessary concept. personally, i am proud of the united states as being such a great part of union history. i feel that it is unfortunate that human nature is such that unions would be necessary. but i'm glad that unions exist, and i'm glad they exist in the airline industry.

that said, anyone who tells you that the company is always lying and the union is always truthful (especially if there is no union at the company yet) is just flat out lying or delusional. rational people will take all information given by both sides during a union drive with a grain of salt. like i said at the beginning of this post, it is the company's job to stay union-free. it is the union's job to get themselves brought in as representation for the employees. both sides will do things - in some cases, untruthful, illegal, unethical things - to ensure their side wins.

it's up to the employees to see through that stuff, to try to make a reasoned decision based on facts and their values. unfortunately, just like with buying a car, most people do not make decisions based on facts, but on emotions instead. a union drive is certainly an emotional process. many people on both sides fall for the hysterics and scare tactics that come from both sides. also, a lot of people are apathetic, just like in politics, hoping that other people's passion for whichever side they agree with will carry the day.

anyway, i had to get my two cents' worth in here. i see a lot of stuff coming from people who want alpa at skywest, talking about how the company is lying and mean and horrible. i see very little talking about how unions are not perfect and do the same sort of stuff in union drives. i just wanted to make sure that everyone understands there are no angels in these situations. just both sides doing their jobs, working for the outcome that is in their best interest. we wouldn't want it any other way.

like several other people that have posted here, i feel this way: no matter which side you're on, or how it turns out, i'll be glad when november 6th comes around.