Thread: Gear Up!
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2018, 06:21 PM
JamesNoBrakes
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Volleyball Player

Originally Posted by OverRadar View Post
I asked the same thing to the FOIA FAA representative and even brought up the 44709 ride.

They responded that accidents are expunged from a record after 5 years (provided there isn't another accident). Enforcement actions are expunged after 2 years for administrative and indefinite for legal action. They proceeded to state that if I had any of the above then it must have been expunged and is no longer associated with my name or certificate.

The whole point of my post was for some feedback just in case someone knew more specifics or has been in the same boat. Overall I think you're correct to be conservative just in case it does pop up somewhere.
Lets be clear here,

FOIA your PRIA records will only show what certs/ratings you hold, enforcement actions and acidents/incidents that haven't been expunged.

FOIA your airmen records will show every 8710 application that you ever made, certificate and notice of disapproval, etc. This is where the FAA checkride failures, 709s, etc., come from.

Most 121 airlines (if not all now) do both of these. The first one is required by law. The 2nd is strongly recommended, but not required. This is not discussing the requirement for the new employer to get your training records from your previous employer.

A 44709 reexamination may be the result of an accident, incident, or just an inspector's investigation into an occurrence and determination that your competency may be an issue with whatever event is being investigated. In that case, you take the "ride" to make sure there wasn't some competency issue that caused it. I've conducted many and it's very rare for someone to fail, but every once and a while the process finds someone that should have never been issued a certificate in the first place. It's not meant to be punitive and only meant to re-test some portion of the applicable standards involved with the event.