View Single Post
Old 03-01-2018, 02:39 PM
Stoked27
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2017

Originally Posted by November Seven View Post
Hello APC,
what are the top five (5) things you wish you could have done different in your initial flight training (Private and/or Instrument)?
Few things that come to my mind:
1) Tempering my 'BS' radar too much on a subconscious notion that my instructor is wiser and therefore never wrong. Trust your instructor - they are wiser, but the whole-person concept is real, students and instructors are human and can make mistakes. i.e. I had an instructor tell me that we're good to go (I'm still preflighting) and I insist that I haven't rolled the tires yet to check the tire tread on the hidden spot. Low and behold a major amount of cord was showing and we had to cancel the flight because they didn't have a spare tire available. That would've had a high chance of a tire blowout if I locked up the brakes on the same spot of tread. If something like an overly casual instructor makes you pause and say, "wait a minute, but..." then pause and actually wait a minute. It doesn't mean you need a new instructor. Just pause and evaluate the situation.

2) Blocking out interruptions during training. Including work, family, etc. You might do well to multi-task, but I do poorly when constantly interrupted so I need to be very proactive about communicating with my family and work when I am not available. My phone gets turned off.

3) I've taken for granted what I was doing and where I was going.
Plan your cross countries to a place where you want to be (maybe a beach-side restaurant if you don't live by the beach?). Don't forget to have fun.