View Single Post
Old 03-07-2018, 12:25 AM
Flying Enoch
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Don't tell them you're leaving until you finish consolidation... that's in your own best interest so you have a solid foundation when you return.

They could probably pay to to sit at home, reason being they're going to have to train you when you return anyway, it's not unreasonable that they don't want to do that twice (you're a lot cheaper than the instructors and the SIM time). You're not necessarily entitled to a free type rating if they don't even know if you'll return after the mob.

Some airlines keep new hires at arms length, ie you're not actually an employee until you finish training.
I second this. Or, instead of "not telling them" you're leaving, maybe it's better to not start training until you have the timeline to complete the training and consolidation period. Again, this is for your own benefit as rickair pointed out. I understand wanting the seniority and job security, but the risk of being unsuccessful due to breaks in training isn't worth the risk. A 121 unsat or failure is far worse than the reward that the additional seniority gives you by taking a leave through training. Just like all other ratings, retention weighs big in the overall success.

Also, although USERAA protects service men and women, almost all 121 carriers have the probationary clause that says "one can be terminated for ANY reason, without cause, during their first 365 days of employment". When a leave is requested, regardless of which type of leave, employers weigh out if one would need remedial training and the time/cost associated with it. One may need to be completely retrain (a huge expense), or simply just need 3 takeoffs/landing upon returning. Again, USERRA will protect you against the leave regardless, but don't be surprised that a termination may be in line for a plethora of other reasons, as you are on still on probationary status for a year.
The best practice is communication in these cases. Find out the ramifications prior to treading this water.

This is coming from a former hiring panel guy at a 121 regional carrier. I've seen it happen before.

Thank you for your service.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk