View Single Post
Old 03-10-2018, 05:22 AM
FrankTheTank
Fill'er Up Again

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: Scarebus Captain

Originally Posted by Adlerdriver View Post
Most folks who crunch the numbers come to realize whatever pay raise they may see on paper is hardly worth it in terms of the QOL trade-off.

777 FO vs 757 C is usually a pay cut. 777 lines tend to pay more than 757 lines with equal days off. Once flown, 777 trips typically capture 4-6 more hours on top of their advertised pay. So, a 757 C (commuter) on reserve is going to get paid less than 1000 CH per year while working the max days each month. A 777 FO line-holder is going to probably going to get paid at least 1100 CH per year and have 2-3 days off extra each month. When you figure the pay per day it's eye-watering. A 777 FO who can hold 3 extra days of carryover each month can make the same as a reserve Captain on a domestic wide-body while working the same number of days. Even the domestic WB FOs can get pretty close to these numbers with a little carryover and schedule kung fu... and earn the extra coin on their own schedule and terms. Unless you're living in domicile, can hold your home town or can't even hold a WB line as an FO anyway, it's hard to justify the NB Captain numbers for the job those guys do.

How we get commuters who can't hold their home town or some other personal factor to bid the 757C seat is beyond me. Some guys just have to have those 4-stripes..... and they earn every penny to have them.
There is a reason the bottom 10% of the bid packs are so junior. So I will agree with the QOL. But I disagree with the $ argument

You’re numbers don’t add up. I’ll use year 3 for example.
75C = 237K. 77F = 190K. With you’re 1000/1100 hour assumption