View Single Post
Old 03-10-2018, 06:14 AM
Albief15
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006

Originally Posted by Overnitefr8 View Post
Wow Albie, how do you know that it's not her husband that just won?
Well...point noted...but as I have warned people before your aren't really that anonymous here. I know this guy. And while his post may have come off a bit arrogant, he was simply listing his quals as at least on paper he should have maxed out the scale. He had a PE. And he never got called until very late in the game. He's a guy I think most of us would enjoy flying with, and if a little Colonel did bubble out somewhere you would have no problem just busting his balls and slapping him back down.

I think once the mommas get the Delta tour at indoc its hard to pull the family out. They have a good operation right now, a history of pride in their pilot force, and for the last few years some pretty nice profit sharing checks. Before anyone accuses me of Delta envy I am VERY happy here and dig my job and my coworkers, and the checks are very much appreciated. All I am saying is starting at day 1 and groundspeed zero, the advantage in pay, benefits, and security we have enjoyed the last decade or more over our pax carriers has eroded as they have improved their post bankruptcy contracts. For some people the pax life and domiciles offered will be a better fit. Could it go south? Sure. But driving to work in a town you like and flying 90% of your flying between 0500-2330 also has some appeal to many.

As for bailing from FedEx...since 2011 I know of a few...

Purple Nugget--furloughed from DAL as 99 hire...decided to go back when MD-11 gravy train ended and he got displaced to 727 FE. Now a 737 captain out of SLC...count not be happier.

Ex Navy guy with reserve job wanted to live in DC. Tired of night flying. Took pay hit to go to AA when they first opened their window again a few years ago.

Long time ASA pilot and ATL native left after a few years. "Just because"...decided he wanted to drive to work and follow his lifelong dream...

Another of our guys had family ties to UAL. Left. Day 1 in indoc had a wave of reality as he thought about PBS, etc and apparently BM let him slide back into FedEx and didn't honor his resignation. There may be more to that story, but I don't want to compromise the pilot.

Bottom line is every pilot has a story. I pretty much chase the dollars and love the flexibility at FedEx. Its absolutely the best fit for me, and I think if a pilot doesn't want to live in a major domicile its about the best gig in the industry. If you want to live in SEA, New York Area, DC, ATL, DTW, DAL, MIA, etc, however, the quality of life issues associated with living and working in hometown give some pilots a real choice. I'm just glad we are back to talking about "which airline do you want?" and "which offer should I take" instead of the conversations we were having 2004-2011. These are really good times in this industry. Don't believe me....look up Kalitta and Omni's new first year rates....