View Single Post
Old 03-12-2018, 09:18 PM
hindsight2020
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Center seat, doing loops to music

Originally Posted by galaxy flyer View Post
Thanks Salty Dog for the update. Yes, I was working off aged information, but the “6 in 8” rule used be a major factor for some.

FYI to the OP. I left the Reserves as an ART exactly 2½ years prior to a full civil service retirement. The way FERS is structured it didn’t cost me anything like losing an AD pension, but still was a factor. When you can’t hack it anymore, leave IMHO. I was in a great spot, on the O-6 list, 2-star sponsor and a Wing CC headed for the AFRC/DO job. Still, leaving worked out better, new career, new adventures, happier wife.

Life’s short, there are options, just be smart about it. Be ready for a job campaign, have a unit lined up, perhaps one with an ART opening you can fill.

GF
ART jobs don't hold a candle to airline compensation though. And the retirement is atrocious compared to AD/AGR. Let's be honest here. People ART up because of 'townie', not because of money. Sure, at the Wing and above, that mobility agreement starts becoming relevant. But for those who don't have the motivation to get saluted, it's really the homesteading the reason they take the paycut. And a paycut you take, especially as a new hire these days with that ghastly 4.4% vesting fee (from 0.8% for the old FERS timers, or a cool goose egg for the CSRS ladder pullers).

But do admit, it takes all kinds. Fat chicks need pushin' too. A 1% pension is better than no pension, or worse... an airline pension