View Single Post
Old 03-13-2018, 10:03 AM
Stoked27
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2017

Originally Posted by November Seven View Post
The second Instructor abruptly broke the students focus while engaged in a learning task (taxiing to the run-up area), by taking over the controls and doing something with the aircraft the Instructor could have allowed the student to do on his own with guidance. This interrupted the learning flow of the student forcing him to now segregate partial experiences in the cockpit for later intellectual assimilation. This is no small matter when it comes to learning new tasks - regardless of what those tasks happen to be. An accumulation of these broken chains of progress can cause mis-registration of the information in the brain, further causing problems with instant recall in the future. This is how the human brain works.
I really respect the level of research that you're putting in since you're clearly willing to put in a lot of your own time and effort, but I am thinking you will learn so much more if you just go take a few lessons. I'm not a CFI, but I've been a student who has had multiple CFIs over the years (started/stopped training over a few years). I don't see any issues from a student perspective with the second instructor. I watched the whole taxi portion of video #2 that you commented on and various segments of both for about 30 minutes. Not going to spend more time watching those - my gut check was fine with both of them.

From your other post about the VLJ purchase, if you're not hurting on money, then the money spent will be more valuable than the amount of time you're spending reading. Just take an intro flight at a few different schools and explain that you'd like to be taught as if you're a full-fledged student on day 1 (not just a joy ride). Considering you're still at the proverbial "starting line" for your training, I think you'll be surprised at the rate that you'll begin to understand the big picture (not just learn, but understand). Much of the intangible info you're researching should start coming together within a couple weeks if you just go take a few flights at different schools.

The portion I quoted you on above is a fairly valid point from a book-perspective of learning in a classroom with a teacher who will only teach it for the one class session (a static environment), but flying is much more dynamic. You'll need to learn how to deal with something breaking your attention constantly in flying. Even if you're experienced and have learned what you need to know, you'll be trying to hear various radio calls while passengers are interrupting you, while you're rubbing your belly and patting your head at the same time. Constant learning of the current situation - even if you know regulations and how to fly the plane. You'll need to get used to operating in a dynamic environment with CONSTANT variables pulling you away from your thought process. Human factors to the minute detail that you're pointing out will be something pilots will likely work under until the day flying is 100% automated.

Time is money and you're spending a lot of unbalanced time on reading when you'll learn so much more by taking a few lessons. Loosen up/get some air about you (I mean this politely because I think it'll help you see the bigger picture) and train under Part 61 so you can repeat a lesson easily if little things like that cause only a 70% information retention rate when you wished you had 100%.

I really do wish you the best of luck in your training. Now just go do it.