Thread: DUI and Medical
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2018, 12:43 PM
siuaviation
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: King Air 350i

Originally Posted by Vic5722 View Post
Ok I literally just completed this process a few days ago. Im have the SI but still need to continue monitoring and psych evals once a year for a few years. When your med is sent to DC that means they are going to evaluate you for abuse. From .1499 to .20 is the Alcohol abuse criteria. They will most likely soon send you a letter saying that "Due to your history of substance abuse...etc etc" They will require a HIMS and monitoring and more documentation. So get the HIMS now! Do everything that he or she wants you to do. Also if your 121 they should have a treatment program that will allow you to still be employed but taken off flight status until the program is done. Im not going to lie. This process will be extremely difficult. It has been the hardest and most trying time of my life. From beginning to end it was 24 months. It reminded me of dealing with the Vogons from Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy
I've also just completed this entire process. By completed, I mean received my Special Issuance medical last week. The entire process for me took 2.5 years. Definitely not an easy, or cheap, process but can be completed. If anyone has any questions please feel free to PM me. My next step is applying for my Canadian Temporary Resident Permit so I can enter Canada with the DUI on my record. Once I receive that, I'll be ready to return to the airlines.