View Single Post
Old 03-16-2018, 07:59 AM
minimwage4
2 days off

Joined APC: Jun 2009
Position: Embraer Systems Analyst

Originally Posted by veewan View Post
Even without sharing it, you did not hint at GoJet having less MX issues.

GoJet has a reputation in the industry. It also doesn't help when I've been jumpseating to go up and see the flight deck plastered with deferral stickers.

The fact that another GoJet pilot assumed all regional MX was bad confirms that GoJet still has that issue.

I'm not blaming the pilots for it, or the mechanics. If your aircraft is scheduled with minimal down time and there's not enough mechanics, of course there will be items they can't attend to.

Many hands make light work. If you must schedule an aircraft to fly as much as possible, the best strategy is to have more people working on it. Unfortunately for a company so cost sensitive, they'd rather "save" money now by having less mechanics. It's been an issue at Compass, they are talking about implementing a preventive maintenance program, which they could have done earlier.

Again TSH does not like to spend money now. They figure it's better to save that cash now to be "cost effective," where it would be more economical to spend slightly more now. Bonuses are point in case.

Wouldn't it be better to pay pilots a consistent higher wage than to have to attract pilots with advertising claiming up to 100k "total year one compensation?"

Think of it this way, let's say you offer 10,000 per pilot, that means you could have afforded to pay each person roughly 10 dollars an hour more, but instead of signing a LOA with the union, it's deemed better to wait until there is a staffing problem and offer lump sums with tax implications that reduce what a pilot takes home.

Mind you part of that total year one compensation includes items such as your health insurance benefits, so it's not fully accurate.
Tsh does not own many of its planes. That's where the conflict of interest is, why spend any more money in maintenance when you don't own them? They just do the bare minimum, I've flown with deffered things that maybe only airlines in Africa or India... are ok deferring.