Old 03-23-2018, 10:27 PM
kaputt
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2011

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
Post 148 and a post on Page 17 of this thread details the experience of an Indoc class at one point in time.
Like everywhere, the hiring environment changes with the industry.
Right now I would think that you could get on with a lot less time than I did back when I was hired. I was the lowest time guy by far in my new hire class at 3500 TT with only about <300 hrs being civilian. My particular times were posted on #108.
Appreciate the info!

It looks like in the past they have strongly favored hiring former military aviators. With the current pilot market nationwide, is it more likely that the FAA would consider hiring someone with a pure civilian flying background?

I am a current Air Force officer that is planning to separate from active duty in about 2 years, however I am not a rated military pilot so all of my flying has been, and will be, civilian. I am currently working on my CFI, and hope to hit 1500 hours total within a year after separating; with the goal after that of heading to a regional.

Would a regional first officer or captain that is also a military veteran be competitive for this job? Is there anything I could do in the future to strengthen my resume that would make someone without military flight time stand out?