View Single Post
Old 04-01-2018, 08:17 PM
AirBear
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2017
Position: Retired NJA & AA

Originally Posted by gollum View Post

PS: it’s “college” no “collage”
Spell check has atrophied that part of my brain The fact that I'm usually watching videos on the other monitor while I type doesn't help.

I agree about the degrees, on W/O's getting them for promotion and on not needing them for the regional flow/thru down the road.

I was an Air Force pilot from 1981-89. Near the end of that time the Air Force threw out some nice retention bonus payments. And most squadron CO's screwed it up by making acceptance of the bonus with the accompanying commitment to the 14 year mark a type of "Loyalty Test". If you declined the bonus then you were on his "bad boy" list.

Of course later on the Soviet Union collapsed and some of the pilots who took the bonus were RIF'd out of the service

They really need a "Professional Pilot" career track that keeps you in the cockpit and away from most non-flying jobs and guarantees 20 years. I had no desire to command anything more than my aircraft and that wasn't the party line. I did enjoy the missions I flew, I felt like I was making a contribution. But all the other BS drove me crazy, I got out as soon as my commitment was up.