View Single Post
Old 04-07-2018, 12:40 PM
Petethedog
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: Frieght Dog

Originally Posted by steamgauges View Post
I wouldn't make a decision to come to the FAA based on telecommuting. Yes, it's available and officially encouraged (although some offices prohibit it while you're on probation as they want you to be there in case an unexpected OJT opportunity pops up) but it depends upon your assignment and the office culture. AW does not do much telework and, as you'll soon find out, mechanics run the FAA (office managers). So, they're not so understanding about working from home (office policy).

But, as Bizjet said, during the first year, you're going to be really busy with OJT and string and your schedule is going to entirely dependent upon when you can get together with your instructors to work on your OJT (about 270+ tasks in that first year) plus a few months in OKC (I was in OKC 120+ weekdays the first year plus travel days). On those other days, you need to be in the office to knock out that OJT. All this is supposed to be completed in 1 year after start.

In some situations, you might be able to get a day of telework when all your OJT instructors are unavailable and you need a level 3 sign off. eLMS works fine from home, so you might be able to get into a routine where you can arrange telework on one of those days (Monday or Friday).

After probation, the system opens up quite a bit (again depending on your office, its politics and your job assignment. Field time/cube time will depend upon your assignments. I've spent 40 hours in a cube one week and never came into the office the next.

At first (after probation), I had a schedule of 5 - 8s and was able to telework once a week. I could have occasionally TW two days. Then I changed my schedule to 4 - 10s and was able to telework one day a week giving me 4 day weekends at home.

In my most recent job, telework is hit and miss because of constant meetings, sim evals and enroutes.

Bottom line: don't plan on teleworking the first year; by the second year you could get a position that allows more freedom. But if you want more money and to advance you might get back into a little or no telework situation.

I'm in a CMO. YMMV
Sounds pretty good! Thanks for the quality info, gauges and bizjet... One other question, does the FAA offer loss of medical insurance? Do you know of any ASI's who have lost their medicals and what happened to them?