View Single Post
Old 04-13-2018, 05:46 AM
JohnBurke
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by AirBear View Post
Look at the start of the video. You can see clear skies in the left 1/3 of the screen. The crew said it was a very rough ride down final, with a big direction split with winds aloft from surface winds. I don't know what was showing on radar, but I've had a small, innocent looking rain shower set off the wind shear warning in a 737. Near BOS one day I had a shower that wasn't more than 1/4 mile in diameter send out a bolt of lightning. Definitely got our attention.
I see the "clear skies" to the left of the frame...which are not clear skies. I also see a lot of dark sky, and the fact that a tornado touches down adjacent to the aircraft is proof positive that it was NOT clear skies. If indeed this was a tornado, the fact that the crew landed and taxied in during such conditions, or the aircraft seen landing right behind them, downwind, adjacent to a tornado, doesn't speak well at all for the decision making that was going on in either cockpit.

It's pretty tough to be surprised by a tornado after approaching in a radar-equipped turbine airplane and landing at a towered airfield. It's not like they simply generate from blue skies. They don't.

Originally Posted by FlyJSH View Post
Containers that were (presumably) un-chocked/brakes not set; I'm curious if FedEx will be footing the bill.
Container brakes? Chocks? No. They're containers.

There were four containers in a train that passed the Citation, which were on wheels and together, but the rest were not.

"Act of God" springs to mind, for insurance purposes.