Thread: Yikes Part 2
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2018, 02:01 PM
Moose
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: 737 FO

It is truly devastating that Betty Pina and her attorneys are airing allegations in the press and convicting Captain Engelien in the court of public opinion. Frankly it's upsetting anytime due process is subverted. Per my consultation with a legal ethics professor, because Captain Engelien is not a named party in Betty Pina’s lawsuit and has not been charged with a crime, there is no reason why he can’t defend himself against the allegations and share that he passed a lie detector test. Captain Engelien has a “Right-to-Reply” by law. However, it is my understanding that he is being told by Alaska Airline union reps. and mgt. that he can’t talk about the case. Paul Engelien remains loyal to Alaska Airlines and wants to respect what I believe may be an unlawful and unfair gag order. Never-the-less, Captain Engelien is choosing to follow Alaska Airlines' order not to discuss the case and is refraining from making any statements. However, as his legal advocate, the law allows (may even require) me to share factual information that refutes Pina’s allegations if it’s in my client’s best interest.

To that end, On April 11, 2018, my PR rep. issued the attached press release to the media outlets listed in the chart below. So far NONE of the media outlets have released a follow-up story alerting their readers, listeners or viewer of this development. Sadly, it appears that Pina’s drugging and rape allegations, assertion that this is a #MeToo movement issue and lawsuit against Alaska Airlines generates more interest than the fact that Captain Engelien passed a polygraph exam. The exam results directly refute Pina’s allegations that he drugged and raped her. KIRO 7’s Dave Wagner broke Pina’s original story and expressed an interest in covering Captain Engelien’s side of the story only if Captain Engelien would do an in-person, on-camera interview. Without an on-camera interview, it appears Dave Wagner is not interested in updating KIRO 7's story with the polygraph results either. Alaska Airline’s gag order is making it virtually impossible for Captain Engelien to defend himself against Pina’s allegations.

MEDIA NOTIFIED VIA A PRESS RELEASE THAT CAPTAIN ENGELIEN PASSED A POLYGRAPH
Seattle Print/Internet
Seattle Times
Seattle PI
Puget Sound Business Journal
The Stranger
Seattle Radio/TV/Internet
KOMO
KIRO
KING
FOX
Non-Seattle Print/Internet
Spokesman Review
The Oregonian
Anchorage Daily News
LA Times
Dallas Morning News
Chicago Tribune
Tampa Bay Times / St. Pete Times
Boston Globe
Non-Seattle Print/Internet
San Francisco Chronicle / SFGate
Sacramento Bee
Arizona Republic
NY Times
NY Daily News
Washington Post
Atlanta Journal Constitution
Honolulu Star-Advertiser
National TV/Radio/Internet
ABC News and Good Morning America
CBS News and CBS This Morning
NBC News and Today Show
FOX News
International Business Times
Daily Mail
The Independent
FlyerTalk.com
Thepointsguy.com
Thecut.com

Mass Distribution Release
Associated Press (AP Wire)

Because the media doesn’t appear interested in updating their coverage, yesterday I began sending personal emails directly to journalists of select media outlets that covered Pina’s story. I personally introduced myself, notified each journalist/producer that Captain Engelien passed a polygraph and requested that they update their coverage. I have only heard back from the two journalists in bold below. While they have not yet updated their coverage, I’m hopeful they will.

IBEX News
The Seattle Times
ABC News
Newsweek
HeraldNet
Daily Beast
Puget Sound Business Journal
Business Insider
The New York Times
The Washington Post
Mr. Leacock
Mr. Kamb
Ms. Thorbecke and Ms. Ghebremedhin
Mr. Palmer
Mr. Pattison
Ms. Messer
Mr. McIntosh
Mr. Zhang
Ms. Hauser
Ms. Eltagouri

The good news is there’s power in social media. If the mainstream media isn’t interested in covering the full story, I’m hopeful I can get this information out via the power of the internet and social networking. I have included the press release below and hope that you will share this email with your peers and invite them to share it on social media, list-serves and other outlets to the extent they feel comfortable doing so. I’d also like anyone who believes they may have information relevant to this case to contact Investigator Mortensen at [email protected] or myself at [email protected].

Warm regards,

Sheri Pewitt ​, Attorney​
206.941.0009 ph
206.467.3152 fax
[email protected]
www.pewittlaw.com