View Single Post
Old 04-15-2018, 08:15 PM
Excargodog
Perennial Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by pilotlyfe View Post
Hey Everyone,

I know people are going to give me a lot of crap for making this thread but I wanted to see what people's thoughts were on this topic.

I'm currently in the process of looking at certain regionals to go to. I've always liked Horizon because I've always heard from pilots that it was a great regional to go to for a long time. However, it seems that in the past year, things have changed. To me, it appears that AAG is giving many routes (specifically what would be 175 routes) to SKW and with the slow but sure retirements of the Q, the stability of Horizon seems to have taken a turn.

Mentors of mine who work at mainline carriers have said that when choosing a regional, the most important thing to consider is stability. If the industry took a ****** tomorrow, would the carrier you're working for be able to survive? Horizon is one of the longest reigning WOs and one of the longest reigning regionals in the industry, but it now seems that AAG is turning their head away from Horizon and more to SKW.

My question(s) is: Do you think AAG has a plan to keep Horizon as a regional for Alaska? Do you think AAG has any plans to sell Horizon? If something happened in the next few months (economy went down again, another 9/11, etc.) based on the current conditions of Horizon, do you think they'd survive? Ultimately, even with the massive amount of hiring at the majors, if you had to get stuck at a regional for 10+ years or make a career at a regional, do you think Horizon is a good choice and do you think the company would even make it another ten years?

I know none of us have a crystal ball and many of my questions are future based questions but I'm just wondering on your respective opinion.

Thank you in advance for your response!

Stable?? It's practically ossified. If you want to move at a glacial pace, there are few places better. Personally, if I had to be stuck at a regional for the next ten years, Horizon would definitely be my number two option, right after seppuku.