Old 04-16-2018, 03:07 PM
TransWorld
Gets Everyday Off

Joined APC: Aug 2016
Position: Relaxed

A couple of other thoughts.

Even a plane that is 20 years old does not have all 20 year old parts. So many inspections. If it was your car it would be like taking it in weekly for the mechanic to inspect it, do maintence on it every few weeks. Once every so often the mechanic would tear down your engine and replace the cylinders, pistons, cam shaft, etc.

You would not go to that extent on your car. But that is exactly what a commercial aircraft must do during heavy tear downs. It is a requirement.

Know you are not unique in having a fear. I read an excellent book for pilots, an autobiography of Bob Buck, entitled, “North Star over my Left Shoulder”. He loved flying. He met Charles Lindbergh. In the 1930s he flew the DC-3 for TWA. He was the chief pilot. Before he retired he was flying the 747.

A photo in the book was of him sitting in the cockpit of a 747. A passenger was nervous about him flying. How do you know what to do? Do you have any experience? He explained and gave him a tour. Unfortunately with the tight schedule, you cannot get on the plane and interview the pilot you are going to fly with, go over his resume, and have him show you everything in the cockpit. But know he is qualified and experienced.

I look forward to your overcoming your fear. It is like I was taught in public speaking. I was a terrible stutterer as a kid. You become better by just doing it. I actually have learned to enjoy speaking before groups, even though I am a studious introvert. (Incidentally the number one terrifying fear of the human race is public speaking.)