View Single Post
Old 04-22-2018, 05:52 AM
Davetastic
Ice-bagger

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Originally Posted by zerozero View Post
So, we know what message the company is sending.

And we know what message the union is sending.

What exactly is your message? What are you trying to say?

To me, it sounds like: "The company is mean and nasty with all their stall tactics. And the union is mean and nasty trying to get everyone else to be mean and nasty back to the company. But I'm not mean and nasty, I'm just happy to be flying a 747."

Ok, fine. It's not all doom and gloom from your seat. But what can you hope to accomplish with that sort of "satisfaction"? If you're happy enough then nothing ever changes, and there's nothing wrong with that, per se, but a lot of other people who are working really hard to improve things might just say, "If you're happy and satisfied with the status quo, then just sit back, go to work and enjoy the improvements that come ever so slowly to the whole group."

You know, basically, lead, follow or get out of the way!
I am glad you asked. As I have indicated many times over, my goal is to communicate to prospective candidates that there are other Atlas employees out there that have the same opinion as me that will affirm that the worst case scenario of scheduling, hotel or travel snafus that have and may occur just don't happen at the rate that those here will have you believe.......in MY opinion. That is my message. Don't hate. Don't agree. Don't disagree. Whatever! And I do thank those that help....but rhetoric won't help us get there any faster than diplomacy(imo).....but if it were up to me, I'd have chosen a more diplomatic approach.

And fwiw, I DO volunteer. I call that leading. What would you say about me volunteering? ....and paying my union dues?

Lastly, we each have an OPINION of what message either the union or the company is sending.....it is a matter or one's perspective. You can't force anyone to take your opinion of the union or the company message and people should not be outcast or ostracized for having their opinion, especially as a dues paying member. In fact, I would expect that even the most bitter opponent of the union would be well represented by the union in the event that the unions support was called upon......just because that person pays their dues. (This is just a devil's advocate point of view. I don't actually believe that the union actively engages in ostracizing union members whom oppose the union message).

(I have never nor will I ever be one of those, "I'm just happy to be......." types. This is my career too and of course I want better rules, money etc. Besides, look at the avatar).

Last edited by Davetastic; 04-22-2018 at 06:10 AM.