View Single Post
Old 04-27-2018, 05:08 AM
UnusualAttitude
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: B767

Originally Posted by Adlerdriver View Post
It's not. Not a restriction. Not an issue. There's no jumpseat police looking to bump people off trips. I'm pretty sure you know that but I'm replying to your post out of convenience. PTB has drawn some conclusions that aren't based in any factual information.

However, if one misses an interrnational trip because they were using a single FX jumpseat to get to work, I wouldn't expect a lot of sympathy from their fleet Captain.

Unless someone lives in a city with multiple FX flights inbound to their domicile that would allow a prudent commute plan with back-ups, using a single FX flight from their home airport is pretty foolish. Expecting management to embrace that plan is equally foolish. A chief pilot at one of those airlines PTB mentions with 95% of their pilots commuting into international trips would agree. Those pax pilots commuting into their trips are expected to follow their company's commuter policy which is going to require AT LEAST one back-up flight, maybe more.

We're fortunate that our commuter policy allows a single FX flight to serve as our one and only way to get to domicile for a trip provided it meets the CBA criteria. Apparently some of our pilots who may have gotten used to that situation flying domestic have come to the mistaken conclusion that such a commute plan should be okay for international ops as well. Trying to use a single flight with no back-ups to commute to an international flight is not a valid plan at FedEx or any other airline. But, there's nothing stopping anyone here from doing it if they are willing to run that risk.
Completely accurate.

UA