View Single Post
Old 04-27-2018, 07:41 PM
Excargodog
Perennial Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
Beats shearing off the legs on the way out.
The garters on the Martin-Bakers were a better option. You only looked like a damn fool in the cockpit.

Seriously, I knew this one WSO whose mustache was always just a little outside of 35-10, but in PACAF they would sort of let you get away with that as long as it was neatly trimmed, and his always was. He used some fancy Aussie mustache wax on it, which worked well enough until one exercise when we were simulating a biowarfare threat or something and everyone was told to put the regulators to 100% O2.

Apparently the Aussie wax was part oil and it started trying to spontaneously combust on his lip. The burns weren't too serious and fortunately he got the mask off without inhaling actual flame. But his mustache was reduced to something akin to a couple of burnt out candle wicks and between the first and second degree burns he really couldn't shave the remains off for about a week. And neither the Wing King nor the DO could look at him and keep a straight face, or keep the smile from degenerating into a chuckle, and eventually a laugh. Which became contagious, and soon even his buds were doing it.

He stayed away from the O-club bar for a couple of weeks until he was able to shave. I don't know if he ever regrew it. I PCS'd about three months later.