Thread: What do I need?
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2018, 07:45 AM
armypilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2015

Someone else hit on it, but a couple majors are looking into or starting cadet training programs. American’s mentions helping you secure the financing for your ratings and eventually getting an interview into any of their wholly owned regionals. I believe United has something as well, but I’m not sure on the details.

My personal recommendation to you since you’re still active duty is to continue to build your time however you can and strive for both your commercial ticket and becoming a CFI. Once you’re a CFI you can moonlight on the side (moonlighting is a side job) and let someone else pay for your flight time that way. If you have an Aviation related degree, you’ll qualify for a Restricted-ATP which allows you to acquire an ATP with reduced hours depending on the level of education. Without an Aviation related degree, you’ll need to acquire 1500 hours in order to get an ATP.

As you progress, keep in mind that you’ll need a multi engine rating and if you’re ever offered any type ratings, get them. But your ultimate goal is 1500 hours, that’s the hurdle.