View Single Post
Old 04-30-2018, 10:19 AM
kronan
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: 757 Capt

Originally Posted by FXLAX View Post
Can they also create a set criteria that would allow as many of our pilots as possible (even if only 20% for example) to commute protected while satisfying the company’s desire to protect the operation as well?

Why is this assumption always made that the commute has to be on a Fedex flight? Not all other airlines limit their pilots protected commutes on their own flights.

Again, another assumption. A commuter policy doesn’t need to be written so as to protect almost every pilot commuting into almost any trip. Like you said, the passenger airlines’ commuting policies don’t have that. So why restrict ourselves to that higher standard. If we had a policy that gave commuter protection to 20% of the trips, it would be a win win. It sounds to me like you are letting the perfect to get in the way of the good.

Another assumption. Yes, we do have access to all Jumpseats on all those passenger airlines.

If we can come up with a commute policy that incrementally adds commute protection to more pilots willing and able to use it, why wouldn’t we?

It just doesn’t make sense to me why we would assume so many things in an argument against something that would help more of our pilots. What is the company’s idea of a best-practice commute for an international trip? Just codifying that into contract language would be better than what we have now, which is nothing. If it helps one pilot make a less stressful commute, it would be an improvement.
Yes, I can see FedEx signing off on a reliance of JS on other carriers.
You can really see their willingness to give up control by the way they've expanded the JS CBA Protection to All Types of JumpSeats...not just for those folks using Staging but for those of us on Business or Personal...oh wait...they didn't do that did they?

Other Airlines Long-haul trips...are they 70+ CH trips around the world too? Or do they just do something like JFK-CDG-JFK then off for a couple of days, rinse repeat?