Old 05-05-2018, 05:57 PM
tootired
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2018
Default Transition out of flying within your airline?

I've worked in the aviation industry since graduating from college, though not always as a pilot. Having had a couple decent corporate desk jobs, I know what it's like, and wouldn't mind going back if it was with the right employer. This job is pretty hard on me and I just don't think I'm a particularly robust person (I'm "weak"). I'm tired all the time, and am concerned about the health effects of sleep deprivation, radiation, airport diet, etc., over a career. Yes, some of that can be mitigated but, still, I just don't like flying that much and seem to handle the road worse than others. Airline flying is also kind of boring to me. I'm the type who likes sitting quietly and working on a problem, which I know many pilots say they'd hate.

I recently finished training with a major airline, and was curious if anyone out there has transitioned from flying into a corporate position within their airline. Of course, some people do this after many years, but I'm talking shorter term, say, in less than two years. Don't really want to work in training. Should I get an MBA or some type of technical degree (business analytics/data analytics seem relevant to airline ops)? Would they even hire me? Ageism doesn't seem to be as bad in aerospace/aviation, so I'd like to stay in the industry as well as with my current airline for now, if possible. Saving up and starting something on the side is also an option, however, I'd prefer to remain an employee in the nearer term.

Lots of analyst and software type positions as I look through the jobs listings, but I'm not really qualified at the moment. I have a Computer Science degree but didn't use it so my knowledge has atrophied.

Anyone out there have a story or experience with this?