multipilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006

Originally Posted by norskman2 View Post
- You show up at the gate and your Captain's breath smells of alcohol
- The Captain goes below DH and no runway in sight
- Your Captain refuses to use the checklists

What do you do?
Finally, I have time to sit down and run through these real quick. If anyone has any better suggestions other than what I would say, please don't be afraid to offer a better answer as I have zero 121 experience. Here we go...
  1. If the captain showed up at the gate with alcohol on his breath I would first ask him about it and find out when it was he stopped drinking. Assuming he's under the influence or his last drink was less than 8 hours ago (or less than company policy), then I would encourage him to call in sick. If he doesn't do that, then I would try to figure out some other way to prevent that captain from stepping on the airplane. Maybe call the chief pilot or even go so far as to alert airport officials. Ultimately, I would try to find a way to prevent the flight from leaving the gate until the situation was resolved. I don't want to compromise passenger safety or let alone my own safety and certificates.
  2. If the captain goes below DA/MDA and wants to continue the approach without the runway environment in sight, I could try to commit him to going missed by announcing a missed approach on tower freq. This is really the only practical thing I could think of.
  3. If the captain refuses to use checklists, I would first politely ask the captain about it. If he still insists on not using them, I could still refer to the correct checklist and verify that the captain is doing everything correctly.
Don't hesitate to reply if anyone has any suggestions for better answers or expand on what I've posted. Thanks for the questions! Keep em coming.