View Single Post
Old 05-10-2018, 12:59 PM
nightsky2
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2016
Position: 767/757 F/O
Default Life From a Relatively New Hire at ATI

There’s a lot of trash talk on APC about ATI. I can’t speak for anyone else but myself so here goes; Contract at ATI for an ACMI carrier is good but not great. Much better than it was and certainly not Purple or Brown. We are not Purple or Brown so I don’t expect their contract.

The flying, like anywhere, can be easy or challenging depending on the airport, geography, geo-political climate (we go to some weird places on the planet) and weather. Some of the trips are one and done with 20+ hour layovers. Plenty of time for a good meal, some brews, take in a museum, movie or whatever. Great bunch of very professional pilots to fly with.

Do you want to fly passengers? Bid the combis once you can hold them.

I held a line the first bid period that I was eligible (post IOE / line check). New contract has resulted in slightly better take-home, net pay for first year F/O's. Captains and 2nd year and above F/O’s have seen substantial increases. Most of the time there is plenty of extra flying if you want it. Contract gives us +4 hours above guarantee for every day of extra or JA flying.

As has been mentioned in some threads all employees, not just pilots, enjoy a good relationship with management from what I can see. There are always outliers who will never be happy. I can’t fix that.

Can’t beat positive space travel and home basing. Because we are home based, we don’t pay imputed taxes on our positive spaced trips to/from work. I typically take an Uber to my local airport (6 miles driving or about 4 as the crow flies) and pay no parking fees and never sweat it if I don’t make it in either direction. Get to keep the travel points too.

Training pay is base pay from day one + per diem. Training is professional with no games. You know what to do. Like anything else, you get out of it what you put in.

Don’t want to fly at night? Find a day job. I can attest that I have heard every major airline and most regionals at every hour of the clock. If all you ever wanted to do was fly, and hang out with some great folks this is the place. Again, it’s not purple or brown or D, U, A, or SWA. If they hire you, fantastic! Go enjoy your life. If you’re young or old and want to fly heavy jets ATI is great. Want to use it as a stepping stone? Great! I can tell you that I know pilots who have left here who have a way bigger paycheck than me but hate every minute at their job.

I’ve only been here for 6 months but I have flown passengers for 24 years and was a commuter for 22 of those so my family could have a hometown with a little stability. So I guess that makes me an old guy. I still love flying and once again love my job.

The way I see it, this is the one of the best kept secrets in the industry.