View Single Post
Old 05-17-2018, 06:32 AM
galaxy flyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2010
Position: Baja Vermont

Airline reserve, if you live in base, can be pretty sweet or living hell, depending on manning in category. Then, lines can be all over the place, but 3 on, 3 off; on being away, are probably as good as it gets until very senior. There are exceptions. A friend at FDX did his last ten years sleeping at home every night doing his layovers at the “out station”; a short drive home.

When I retired from the USAF Reserve where I was, no kidding, working 24 days a month, I went corporate. Went to training, came home to find the plane sold and three month wait for the delivery. The old guys at the coffee shop thought I was having delusions about being a pilot. Then the plane delivered and they wondered where I went and made jokes about institutions. When I was at Eastern, I thought 3 on, 3 off was a drag, it seemed like I was always transitioning and never adjusting.

Aviation has lots of deals but being about traveling, most involve time away. If you want to live in North Dakota, you can, but it will involve more time away.

GF