View Single Post
Old 05-22-2018, 03:02 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Ex Comair Guy View Post
Received a DUI in Illinois September 2017 that I've not reported for the following reasons:
1. My drivers license was never revoked or suspended.
2. I'm on court supervision and was never convicted and the case will be dismissed soon.

However, the arrest record is still there. And I know I will have to checkmark the box when applying for a new medical.

1. Do you guys and gals agree that this is NOT reportable?

Not sure I agree.

FAA Aeromedical: You definitely have to report it when you apply for a medical. The medical form currently in use was slightly modified from the old one you're used to. You now must report any DUI arrest (conviction or not) when you apply for a medical. They will then evaluate whether you have a problem. My understanding is the initial evaluation is based on BAC... ie high BAC, more hoops to jump through. You'll need to bring all associated court docs to the exam.

FAA Security: You need to notify them (in addition to and separate from aeromedical) within 60 days of conviction or "administrative action". License suspension is definitely an administrative action, but I'm not sure if your court supervision qualifies. Might need to ask an aviation lawyer about that to be safe. My read is that you're good on this one with no suspension/revocation, but I'm not a lawyer.

2. Since there's no conviction, how will Canada border security view this?

I *believe* that no conviction = no problem, just like TSA. The issue in canada is not the DUI, but the fact that a DUI is a felony in canada, and felons are not allowed in. Even if your DUI was a not a felony, it still counts as one in the great white north. But again it's not anything without a conviction. Besides how would they know? If in doubt, call your local canadian consulate and ask them... they deal with this one every day.

3. How will potential future airlines look at this since I do intend to go back to flying.

Regionals will love you if you have an ATP and a pulse.

ULCC/LCC's may actually prefer to hire you on the assumption that you'll be with them for a little while longer before DAL calls due to the DUI.

For the Big Six... it's going to set you back for sure. The big problem is that it's very recent and you're an older, experienced pilot and should know better. With enough time you can probably reach the top tier if you're set on that, but it's simply going to take time and water under the bridge. Hopefull you have NO other background or training issues, and can keep it that way. The silver lining is that the hiring has not even warmed up and even the bigs might get a bit desperate in 5-10 years. Also maybe a silver lining that you were not actively flying at the time... better than getting a DUI while employed as a pilot I suppose.