Thread: Omni vs Atlas
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2018, 07:42 PM
Captjim
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2016
Position: MD11 Gear Jerk

Originally Posted by DC8DRIVER View Post
First, Atlas pilots are contractually obligated to work 17 days a month. Not 16.

Also it is not at all unusual for junior pilots to be extended by up to three days.

If you get the 747, the junior base is ANC which usually requires a travel day on each end to get to and from Alaska.

If you get the 767, that'll be the CVG base, so depending on where you live that could add to your days away from home as well.

Some lines are built as one month schedules and some built as two month. Most of the one month schedules have one 17 day sequence. The two month schedules will have two or three sequences. Sometimes the 60 day schedules go junior so you would have extra travel days for the extra sequence.

On the 747, don't plan on that schedule holding at all. On the 767 if you're doing the DHL flying, it is probably more consistent with whatever you bid. In over 7 years here on the 747, I have NEVER had a monthly schedule end up being what I bid. Sometimes it changes a little. Sometimes I'm on a different continent all together.

With seniority and creative bidding you can sometimes get an extra day or two at home but don't count on it.

Reserve R1 is a 5 or 10 hour call out from home. R2 is a 90 minute call out from your base hotel (or home if you live in base). R3 is a 90 call out from the airport.

Seriously, I'd look at Omni or Kalitta, or Allegiant as a better place to work right now than Atlas. Go re-read the other threads. Aside from a couple of kool-aid drinkers and union haters, the vast majority of Atlas pilots will tell you the same thing. It's not a good place to work right now at all.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've been very disappointed working at Atlas, but I'm one of the fortunate ones, I'm leaving in August for greener pastures.