View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 07:21 AM
flyingbeagles
New Hire

Joined APC: Jun 2018
Default Any spouses of pilots on this forum?

Hi, I have been an occasional lurker on this forum for the past several months. I spent many years wondering how I should support my husband in his pursuit of a career as a pilot. I am a pediatric dentist, so I have bare-bones insight into the airline/flight industry. From what I've gathered on these forums it seems unstable especially compared to my career but the path to obtaining the 6 figures is similar with the many years of investing hard work/hours and money/loans. Some background on my husband- has a Bachelor's from Embry Riddle, was career designated in the Marines starting out as a helicopter pilot, made it to Captain, but was frustrated from doing more admin than flying (circa 2011-2013). He then switched his MOS to logistics. He was deployed twice between 2011-2016. I was having trouble finding an associate job where we were stationed, and we both concluded it may be best in the long term to raise a family, to support my school loans, to follow where my career path would take me. In 2016, he left military life and started a masters program in project management. Although I was happy, this was a tough time for him. He felt lost and couldn't land a logistics job and decided to put the masters program on hold to pursue his pilot career plans again. I was hesitant to support him for fear of the hazards of the job (several of his pilot colleagues have perished on the job), the ROI, frequency of furloughs, and low pay. However, seeing him so unhappy this past year made me realize that I need to support him just as he has supported me. I'm ready to support him financially, my job allows me to do that. I guess I'm on here to get an idea of how spouses cope and what my expectations should be as a spouse. I have already experienced the long lonely days when my husband was gone for deployments and frequent trainings. I am hoping he will have more autonomy as a civilian pilot. I don't mind him missing holidays and being gone for a week at a time, but should I expect him to be gone for many months? And should I expect to relocate often like the military? So far he has 700+hours and will be starting ATP in August. What are my expectations for our lifestyle in several years? On average how long will it take him as a CFI to obtain the 1500 hours to get to Regionals? Then Majors, given his experience? I just want to be prepared mentally and financially to support him. And I apologize with my limited and ignorant knowledge of your profession! Thanks for any feedback.