View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 07:36 PM
AirBear
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2017
Position: Retired NJA & AA

Unlike the military you can live anywhere that has a decent level of airline service. But the price your husband pays is time spent commuting to his domicile.

Let's say you live in the boondocks of Wyoming. He gets hired and gets assigned to the junior base in the New York City area. He'll have to drive however far to the airport, hope he get bum a ride on the jumpseat and make at least 1 more connection to get to New York. And he'll need to allow for a backup flight in case he can't get the jumpseat. That means if he has an early morning departure on his trip he may have to leave home before lunchtime the prior day. And he'll need overnight accommodations in NYC. Either a commuter apartment or a hotel.

I'll give you my experience as an example. In 1989 I got out of the military and was hired by USAir and based in Pittsburgh. I was living in Fayetteville, NC at the time which had no direct flights to Pittsburgh. So I had to bum a ride to Charlotte, then bum another ride to Pittsburgh. That can be somewhat stressful as you're not guaranteed to get a ride unless your airline allows it's pilots to reserve the cockpit jumpseat. And as a probationary pilot for the 1st year you don't want to get on your Chief Pilot's radar by missing or delaying a trip. I rented a room from a Captain that had a large house but I needed a vehicle. Later I rented a bed in an apartment that had 2 or 3 pilots per room but it had a shuttle service to the airport so no car needed.

Now fast forward 2 years and I change airplanes and get Charlotte based. And I'm now living in Charlotte. I'm the 2nd most senior Pilot on the reserve schedule. I have to be available for short notice trips in case someone calls in sick at the last minute. That was a great lifestyle. I could hold weekends and major holidays off and many months I didn't get called out that much. I had all kinds of time off at home. And I was only on call about half the days in the month.

The most you'll be separated from your spouse is a few weeks when they're learning a new airplane. Assuming you don't live where the training takes place.

Most airlines have 2-4 day long trips. Some like my most recent one have 7 days out then 7 days back home. Some cargo carriers that fly large jets all over the world will have you out on 1 long trip for 16-17 days then you're done for the month.

So the lifestyle in Civilian Aviation can vary widely depending on his employer's trip scheduling and where you live.