View Single Post
Old 06-14-2018, 09:52 AM
Greybush
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2017
Default New Hire Question. What would you do?

I've been lurking and reading up on PSA's posts for several months now, and I'd like to throw my situation out there for y'alls' opinions.

I'm a new hire RTP guy finishing up my time with the Navy living in Pcola. I'll start my FW time building with PSA here in Pcola (one of the reasons I chose PSA's RTP) in January when I go on terminal leave. I'm not retiring -- just getting out at my earliest option (10 years), so no pension for now. I plan to affiliate locally for SELRES (part time) rotary wing flying.

This puts me finishing PSA training around May/June 2019.

My plan all along has been to move to the CLT area and live in base. From what I have gathered, here are the Goods/Bads of this plan:

GOOD:
-SAP (I'm not quite sure how this relates to being on Reserve/holding a line)
-Live in base for long reserve times as a FO
-Easy commute to other bases (when forced to upgrade)
-Easy to commute to my SELRES gig
-The only base I'd be interested in moving to. I like the area/close to family.
-Lots of lines

BAD:
-Very long (relatively) reserve times
-Displacement at 1.5-2 years
-Back on long-time Reserve after getting back from displacement

My main questions are:
1) Would it be better to move to CLT, live in-base, and be on long time reserves/deal with displacement?
2) Would it be better to NOT move at all and commute (for reserve) to CLT from PNS (it's the only one-leg commute) from here?
3) Bite the bullet and move to a base I don't want to live for improved quality of life? And if so, which of these is better and why?
DAY/CVG/ORF/PHL/DCA/TYS

Thanks for your time and advice! Most of all I'm happy to be flying. I'm an optimist by nature if that helps.