View Single Post
Old 06-18-2018, 10:12 AM
jDSTJD
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2018

Originally Posted by Whale Driver View Post
I don't think you anything to report yet.

"within 60 calendar days of the effective date of an alcohol and/or drug related conviction or administrative action."

I think if you have not been convicted or received administrative action, your next report would be on your next medical application form.

IMO - get it to a Lawyer who is an expert in the FAA's cesspool. NEVER admit or report anything o the FAA that you do not absolutely have too.
I cannot agree with this advice more strongly. Given the highly regulated nature of your profession as well as the fact that essentially every aspect of the regulations that govern aviation are aimed at ensuring safety, there are a myriad of potential problems that can arise if you admit to an alcohol and/or drug related infraction, regardless of the disposition of the case, without first having received sound, thorough legal advice. There are many nuances to how the law applies in these types of scenarios and given the significant impact an admission can have on your professional future, you really don't want to make any moves that haven't been strategically planned by and/or with your lawyer. You will need to find an attorney with the requisite knowledge and experience in this particular area of the law, including federal and state criminal law, and who is well versed in aviation regulations. You DO NOT want someone who is not experienced in the law that governs your particular dilemma and how to handle it on the front end and who would have to try to clean up a mess after the damage has been done by not knowing how to approach the issues from a strategic standpoint early on.

I know that hiring a lawyer for anything is dreadful and expensive, but given the gravity of your situation, trust me in the end, when you're happy and prosperous in your career with this behind you, you won't even remember how much you paid your lawyer to handle this and if you do remember, you will feel that is was well worth it.